Concrete impresses us in many ways. It plays a crucial factor in the construction industry. Without concrete, there will be no well-established highways, superhighways, buildings, establishments, and houses. Unlike other construction materials, concrete is flexible, versatile, and durable. Research shows that without concrete, every structure will not last long. Also, concrete is not only useful in large buildings but also in small ones. It is one of the most significant materials to construct your driveways, patios, kitchens, bathrooms, and many more.
Way back in 700 BC, a material that has the same characteristics as concrete is useful in surviving in the desert. Apart from that, did you know that we are producing concrete with an average of seven billion cubic meters each year? Yes, you read it right. Since this material is popular in the construction industry, engineers and professionals do not have successful projects without them.
If you are planning to construct residential or commercial establishments, it is best to use concrete. Using concrete means you are making your investments worthwhile. It is also the top choice in terms of patio and driveway making. Many expert contractors handle this material very well. They have their expertise in making your properties beautiful with concrete. However, as time passes, we could not avoid that our concrete might be in trouble. But, do not stress yourself with concrete cracks, especially in your patios and driveways. The concrete patio and driveway repair in Lubbock is more than ready to lend a helping hand to make your concrete astound again.
Many of us might think that we know everything about concrete significantly when we handle it almost every day. But, there are still things that you may not know and might surprise you. Well, keep reading this article and brace yourself with the surprising facts about concrete.
- The concrete is fire and water-resistant. Have you observed that the only thing that stands firm in a burnt house is the concrete? Yes, concrete is an effective shield to fire. It also does not discharge toxic fumes when engaging with fire. On the other hand, if you plan to build undergrounds and buildings, concrete is the best choice. With its water-proof feature, you will never worry about leaks.
- No one can surpass the characteristics of concrete for road construction. Study shows that in the United States, almost 30 percent of highways are concrete. Concrete is the ideal material for constructing a road because it is low-maintenance and will last longer. Aside from that, it can adjust to weather conditions.
- The first concrete highway was built by Wayne County Road Commission way back in 1909.
- Ancient Rome uses concrete as its establishment material. Because of its water-proof characteristic, many ports and buildings in Rome were built with their version of concrete. It is a mixture of lime, volcanic ash, and water.
- Did you know that the British Army uses concrete to know if enemies are coming way back? Yes, parabolic acoustic mirrors were built by the British to monitor upcoming air vehicles.
- Did you know that China has the largest concrete structure in the world? Yes, it is the Three Gorges Dam on the Yangtze River.